Thursday, January 23, 2014

9 lives, minus 2

I promise I have a happy, uplifting blog, full of lots of Landon pictures and updates.  However, things have been overly crazy here the past few days and have prevented me from finishing up that blog.  For now, I figured I'd take the time to tell you about our sweet, bionic dog.  We know that he would prefer all the focus be on him, but I really do wish that he'd find other ways to gain our attention.  

Kevin and I were overly thrilled when we thought we had found a sweet gal to care for Landon and Vedder two days a week.  We were even more thrilled when a neighbor watched her sweetly bundle them up to go out for a walk.  On her third day of work we couldn't have been more disappointed and sadden by what happened on her watch.

While I was at work on Monday I received a phone call from a stranger telling me that she was driving my dog to the Brookhaven Animal clinic because she had hit him with her car.  It is the phone call that will stop time and bring you to your knees.  My first thought was that Vedder, who has been known to sneak out of the house, had gotten loose and was making his neighborhood rounds and someone in our community had hit him.  After many hours, and finally speaking to a random person who had witnessed the situation, we uncovered the truth.

A dog from another neighborhood had gotten loose and had run out into the middle of the street.  While some kind people were trying to catch the dog to return him home, a car had stopped and was waiting for them to safely retrieve the dog.  In the midst of her being stopped, Vedder decided he wanted in the action and ran out into the road, and under the car.  I'm assuming, (and sincerely hoping she wasn't that negligent) that this girl didn't notice that Vedder had run out into the road and was under this car.  When the woman driving removed her foot off the break she hit my poor, sweet pup with her car.  When he squealed she knew that something was wrong and immediately stopped.  Everyone on the scene, except the ex-nanny, called the local vets to see who could see Vedder immediately, and had the equipment to check for breaks.

Someone on Monday was certinally looking out for our little family because Vedder walked away from the situation with nothing but severe bruising.  We have had a couple scares of there being blood in his stool, and some insertional issues.  However, these were nothing but scares.

Kevin and I were so incredibly sadden that this girl was not paying attention to our son and allowed for this to happen.  It made us worry and wonder if she would let this happen to Vedder, would something happen to Landon?  Further more, it wasn't just that this incident happened at all, because accidents do happen, it was how she planned on handling my injured dog.  By bringing him home, and would have, under our assumption told us that he was hurt when we got home.  Had it not been for these strangers, I would hate to imagine where we would be right now with him.

The patient is doing well overall.  He's very slowly recovering, which is very difficult for Kevin and I to see.  He usually bounces back with such ease.  He's been milking us for all the treats, and new toys he can get and I'm sure he's just lapping up the attention he's taken away from Landon.  

In the meantime, we've since fired the nanny (over a voicemail, because she refuses to answer my calls or call me back.) And hired a new one through a friend, of a friend.  As of today, I feel like we're finally making a turning point in the situation and we can put this awful week behind us.



A little play surely helps recovery!

What?  It's just my size!

Resting in his brother's room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment