Thursday, January 30, 2014

"Snowedout Atlanta"

I have to admit, when we heard there was a chance of snow in Atlanta and the whole city was FREAKING OUT, we laughed and thought boy, these people are afraid of 2 inches of snow?  They should move to Boston or Cleveland where 2 inches is a light dusting.  The grocery stores were packed; water, bread and milk were gone.  (I still wonder, what they hell are you going to do with milk and bread if you have no other food in your house?  It's such and odd combination.  I personally would stock up on pizza and wine.)

The snow started around noon on Tuesday.  Thankfully my boss had texted me in the morning and told me to not come into work that day, I was slated to start at 3:00 and work until 5:30.  (I doubt at that point I would have even made it into work, but if I had, it would have most likely taken me 12 plus hours to get home.)  So now free for the day, Landon and I hunkered down for the "blizzard."  Kev had a meeting in Alpharetta, about 12 miles away from our house at 11:00 and was finished around noon.  He called me on his way to another meeting and said the roads were a parking lot.  At this point we assumed that there was an accident and things would start to pick up for him.  He obviously never made it to his 2:00 meeting and headed straight home.  4 hours later, Kevin made it.

The snow continued and when it finally stopped around 5:00, we had a whopping 2 inches.  Now, normally, like I said, I would have found this hilarious that the city was falling apart at the seems over this snow.  A fair amount of the people living in Atlanta are transplants from the north, they should know how to drive in this.  However, I can say that in all my years living in the north there were very few times I've seen the road conditions as poor as they were here.  We simply are not equipped to deal with snow.  There are 30 snow trucks for the entire city, and Atlanta is a big, big city.

So, couple the fact that everyone left work at the same time, and the government officials did not pretreat the roads, you had a massive disaster.  Several of our neighbors had to abandon their cars and walk home several miles because traffic was just not moving.  People slept in grocery stores, strangers homes, children at school!  As of last night I believe there were STILL people trying to get home.  It's one of the craziest things I've ever lived through!

Here at the Freaney household, we enjoyed some extra family time both yesterday and today.  Landon saw snow when he was in Ohio but we never really let him experience it.  So of course, I put him in his snow suit and took him out on the porch.  Vedder was a seasoned pro, so much so that he reverted back to his Boston ways and peed on the back porch.  (Thankfully, he doesn't attempt that when there is no snow or we'd have some real problems.)  It was an early lesson to Landon about yellow snow.

The beginning of the snow.

Vedder's investigating the situation.

Hmmmm, what is this stuff exactly?

Are we going in yet?

                        

I'm not really sure what the big deal is here.

Snow angel! (He wasn't happy about this.)

The roads all looked like this on Wednesday morning.  A sheet of ice.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment