Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Meltdown, a Breakdown and a Hero...


I must toot my own horn and say, as far as the pregnancy hormones and being emotional goes I think I've dodged a bullet... until Thursday.

As I had mentioned before, we were waiting for our dresser to arrive when we received a phone call from the delivery service, telling us that the dresser was delivered in the wrong color.  After talking to Restoration Hardware we were informed that they were not expecting another shipment of these dressers until the beginning of June, so we wouldn't receive ours until mid to late June.  They were kind enough to offer to lend us the wrong colored dresser until the correct one arrived.  That way we'd have something to use in the mean time.  The loaner dresser was delivered this past Thursday and after the delivery men left, I promptly had a meltdown and burst into tears.  No, nothing ever is perfect and there are always wrenches thrown into even the best laid out plans, but when you think of bringing your baby home from the hospital you dream of his room being perfect.

This, is not perfection.  I call this ugly.  The topper is the correct color, obviously the dresser is not.    

I did what any gal would do when they're upset, I called Kevin sobbing.  My own personal Clark Kent went into that phone booth and threw on his superhero garb and after going to Twitter, sending emails, and finally putting in a phone call, my handsome husband landed a sweet gal who was willing to help him.  After explaining to the woman our nightmare and how upset I was about the situation she set to work and hunted down the elusive dresser.  I know not only have the correct dresser in route, due to arrive next week, I also have a gift card from Restoration Hardware as an apology for the whole situation.  I classify that handy work as something only a superhero could do.

Kev and I have waffled back and forth regarding the paint in the nursery.  Some days we like it, other days we hate it.  Kev wasn't a fan of the semigloss paint we used, being that it showed every one of our paint imperfections.  I on the other hand wasn't a huge fan of the color as it turned out a bit darker than I would have wanted.  I could have lived with the paint, but Kev decided we needed to just breakdown and call in reinforcements.  According to the reaction of the man who repainted the nursery, we did a worse job that we thought.  That was an ego killer if I do say so myself but at least the room has been repainted in a color I love, and looks much more uniform with the rest of the house's paint.    

The new paint color.  


Besides having the nursery painted we also got to work on the rest of his room!  We snipped every last tag off of all of this babes clothes, PJ's, blankets, bath towels, etc., etc., etc.  Exactly one trash bag later, and about a million loads of laundry, I have successfully washed, folded and hung up all this babes belongings.  We still have a long way to go, but progress is progress!  
The before... Vedder being the spoiled pup that he is, searched each bag to see if there was anything in there for him.  

Part of the after...


We had our Baby Basic's class this Saturday.  I have to say that Kev doesn't give himself enough credit when it comes to baby things.  He was quite the pro at changing the diapers, holding the baby and swaddling!  I think he's going to be better off than he thought.  I'm glad we were able to do the class to ease his mind!  

I had my regular check up at the doctor's today.  The babe's heart beat is where it should be, and everything looks good!  I  did receive the results to my three hour glucose screening test.  I unfortunately did not pass the test and I have gestational diabetes.  Here is a little bit of information about gestation diabetes for those of you who aren't familiar with it:  
"We don't know what causes gestational diabetes, but we have some clues. The placenta supports the baby as it grows. Hormones from the placenta help the baby develop. But these hormones also block the action of the mother's insulin in her body. This problem is called insulin resistance. Insulin resistance makes it hard for the mother's body to use insulin. She may need up to three times as much insulin.
Gestational diabetes starts when your body is not able to make and use all the insulin it needs for pregnancy. Without enough insulin, glucose cannot leave the blood and be changed to energy. Glucose builds up in the blood to high levels. This is called hyperglycemia"
Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly of the situation.  The bad is that I now have to go on a special diet until the baby is born, and will have to check and monitor my blood sugar for the next 8 weeks.  Worst case, if the diet doesn't completely put my insulin back to where it needs to be, then I will have to orally take medication to help regulate it.  The ugly is, all I can think of is the fat man on TV that promoted eating Quaker Oats and calling it "diabeetus" and how that's me now.  The good is, that once I have this babe the "diabeetus" goes away, and I can resume eating (and drinking) like normal.  The "diet" isn't that far off from how I was already eating, I'm just going to have to clean up my weekend eating.  I think another push present is in order for all of this...      

I promise I'll take a picture later this week of the giant bump!  

Snuggling his brother! 




          

No comments:

Post a Comment